So why did your son want to join Scouting? He wanted to do out-of-door stuff, hike, camp, & explore the out-of-doors!
One of the easiest and FUN ways to get your Scouts out, is to start a hiking program in our pack.
1) Very outdoor oriented (Council surveys have indicated that one of the key items our Scouts want is more camping and outdoor activities).
2) Helps ready Scout for Boy Scouts. By their Webelos year, they are very comfortable in outdoor situations.
3) Recruitment. The hiking stick is a very positive incentive for new Scouts.
4) Increases participation in the Pack. Scouts look forward to earning their hiking stick, feathers, etc.
5) Easy to reinforce buddy system along trail, walks to outhouse, etc.
6) Numerous opportunities to draw in Scouting requirements and lessons.
Pack 316 Hiking program has a hike set up approximately once a month. When the boys reach a certain number of Hikes & miles they earn a hiking stick. Cub Scouts enjoy the outdoors and this program helps foster and build the connection to the outdoors.